Sunday, July 19, 2015

Today is the first day of the rest of your... --Hers



I am now in month four of CD, (Cancer Diagnosis).   I have had four infusions of chemo, many bottles of  a controlled substance that I am told has a street value of $50 a pill,  I have lost hair, EVERYWHERE...and I am 40 pounds lighter.  The latter is kinda a bonus.   I also know what chemo brain is, and despite the jokes, it is a bummer.  I really don't know why the whole walking around in a fog is attractive to drug users.  I find it frustrating and scary.  Luckily, it doesn't last but a few days.

In the last three months, I have seen my cancer marker numbers reduce down.  (CA-125 Numbers) This is good news!  And time for another mind shift.

Mind Shift one  (1) came when I was diagnosed.   "What do you mean I might die???!!!  Aren't I immortal??!!  Hey this is the South....it is rude to talk about death...especially mine."  

No, I am not immortal and, yes, this is cancer...not the G-Rated cancer, (the type that exists in polite conversation and in fantasy) but the real stuff that kills, and specifically, is trying to kill me!

Now that I am dealing with that on a daily basis...i.e....hair loss, nausea, bone pain, and yes, chemo, there is another shift I must make.

Mind Shift two (2) I may not die--yet.   As crazy as this may seem, this may be an even harder shift.   I was and still am not resigned to the idea of dying, but now that it seems that my odds are getting better, I catch myself making future plans.   And then I chide myself mentally for doing it, but then I chide myself for chiding myself.   I need a new word.    

It is a strange new dynamic.  I am feeling better overall and perhaps am winning this battle but I have not been given a clean bill yet and so, perhaps, it is too soon to be hopeful.  Can I ever be completely hopeful?  

Which leads me to a decision I have to make.  Do I pause my life until I have a better idea of it being longer?  Or,  do I plow ahead without a thought to expiration dates and diagnosis and such. 

There is a third option that I think I will choose.  I have a keener sense of the reality that I may not live to my full 80 odd years.   But then again I might.   One difference that this makes between me and the average person is that I can give a name to my killer and others cannot.   Cancer may kill me eventually.  But I also might step in front of a car or be struck by lightning.    Just like anyone else.

I think however, since I can name my likely killer then each new day comes with more emphasis of not letting a moment slip by without some significance or purpose being squeezed from it all.  I also am taking more time in my relationships.  If a friend needs to talk, I drop things more easily so that we can talk.  Moments should not be missed, and they might be.  

I guess that is why I hate the meds and the brain fuzz of chemo brain.  I don't want anything dulling my senses while I can enjoy my days.    

My body will continue to change and I may actually beat this thing, but my perspective will never be the same again.  I am hoping I will love deeper, speak softer, forgive quicker, laugh, dance and sing like nobody is watching.     






No comments:

Post a Comment