Monday, May 18, 2015

A Hurricane of Love--His

In this battle with cancer, my wife has had infusions of chemotherapy. Yesterday, we got an infusion of love. It was at once targeted and broadcasted, from the music, gifts, and the interaction my wife and I expeienced as musicians and friends gathered to support us in this battle of and with cancer.
Some of the best musicians in Memphis gave of their time and talents in this effort. It's a wonderful feeling to be friends with so many musicians in a town that gave birth to many forms of American music. I can only describe the feelings in that small room on South Main in Memphis with the words of a character from the movie "Elizabethtown." "Cuz, you're going to be surrounded by a hurricane of love." And we were.

So many things I consider and treasure in my heart today. Being handed a tambourine and washboard by the mayor of South Main, Mark Parsell, to join in with Rice Drewry as he and his band Three Degrees played "Wagon Wheel." Cottonwood blossoms dancing in the street like soap bubbles just outside the venue. Heartfelt tributes to my wife and I, from a dear friend, Randal Morton, whose band played two other gigs that afternoon in addition to coming back to our event to finish out a set with Delta Joe Sanders. Oh man, if I start naming everything I'm going to leave something out. It was all special and extraordinary.

Just as Linda will receive multiple infusions of chemo and other integrated treatments, we look forward to another infusion of love on June 4, when again, Memphis musicians, fans, friends and family will come together at Visible Music College in downtown Memphis. If you missed the first one, we'd love to see you at this second one. It promises to be another magical night.

Thank you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment